Terms & Conditions
Our lawyers made us do it...
In these terms and conditions you won't find complicated legal terms or large passages of unreadable text. We have no desire to trick you into signing something that you might later regret. We do want what's best for the safety of both parties, now and in the future.
BSFF is an international festival and all citizens of the world are welcome to participate. Applicants should be of legal of the jurisdiction of their residence at the time of entry. Minors should have permission from legal guardians and include their information on the registration form.
All music and other copyrighted material used in films must be properly licensed. See our Resource Guide.
All films must be in English or subtitled in English.
The following persons & entities are not eligible to enter BSFF: employees of BSFF, kulturspace limited, kulturspace nonprofit llc, parent or sister companies, and companies under common control with listed above companies; BSFF judges; and members of the households of the aforementioned persons..
By entering, you agree to these rules and warrant that you are eligible to enter BSFF.
BSFF IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
APPLICATION OF THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS
(1) The following terms and conditions (the “Terms”) govern the submission of a film (the “Film”) to Berlin Student Film Festival (“BSFF”) for consideration for the 2018 Berlin Student Film Festival (“BSFF ”). To the extent that this document is inconsistent with any other document prepared by BSFF or anyone else, this document will take precedence. Any questions about these Terms should be directed to email@example.com
(1) By submitting a Film to BSFF for BSFF consideration, the submitter (the “Applicant”) represents that he or she has obtained consent from any and all owners, creators, writers, producers and/or other authorized representatives of the Film whose consent is required to submit the Film to BSFF (the “Film Owners”) and screen the Film at the BSFF and has read, understood and agreed to the Terms.
(2) BSFF may disqualify or reject, but is not required to do so, any submission that it determines in its sole discretion, is not in compliance, in whole or in part, with these Terms, and may do so without refunding any or all submission fees paid by the Applicant or returning the Applicant’s DVD submission.
SUBMISSION DEADLINES AND FEES
Submission deadlines for 2018 is as follows:
January 31st, 2018 12:00AM CET
Fees for submitting to BSFF can be found on FilmFreeway.
PROCESS FOR SUBMISSION
All Films submitted under these Terms must be submitted in accordance with the procedure outlined herein. BSFF may, but is not required to, disqualify or reject any Film that is not submitted in this way.
To submit a film for BSFF consideration, an Applicant must submit via FilmFreeway. Any incomplete submission or uploads will not be accepted.
BSFF will not review multiple versions of a submitted Film. Only one version of the Film may be submitted. If multiple versions are submitted, BSFF will view only the version that was received first.
BSFF is under no obligation to contact the submitting party should the applicant not have adhered to rules.
BSFF will consider for inclusion in the BSFF all eligible films that have been submitted by the above deadline.
All selection decisions are at the sole and absolute discretion of BSFF, and are final and unreviewable. BSFF is not required to provide any feedback, comments or reasons, or any other information, regarding the selection or non-selection of any submitted Film or the process by which Films are or have been selected. BSFF is not responsible or liable for its selection decisions; for the contents of any internal comments or feedback regarding the Film that are or may be obtained from the Applicant or anyone else; for any communications by any representative of BSFF relating to the Film or the BSFF selection process; for the manner in which the Film shall be, is or was considered and reviewed; or for any failure on the part of BSFF to provide the Applicant or anyone else with information concerning BSFF’s consideration and/or review of the Film.
BSFF will notify all applicants of an official decision regarding their submission by email on or around May 01, 2018. BSFF will contact Applicants using the contact information of the submitting party only provided in the registration form. Applicants are responsible for providing correct and functional contact information. BSFF is not responsible for any failed attempts to contact Applicants using the contact information provided. When submitting, please provide an email address that is checked frequently.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, LEGAL CLAIMS AND INDEMNITIES
By submitting the film to BSFF, the Applicant and Film Owners (the “Submitting Parties”) hereby warrant and represent that:
(i) the Film is wholly original and is not copied from and does not include any other work that is the subject of copyright or other protection, unless such work is in the public domain or the Submitting Parties have obtained any and all consents, releases, licenses, and other authorizations or waivers of any kind necessary for the inclusion or reproduction of any person, character, location, thing, trade-mark, sound recording, musical composition or other work in the film;
(ii) the Film does not defame any person or violate the common law or statutory rights, including, without limitation, the rights of privacy and publicity or any other right of any person;
(iii) the Film is not the subject of litigation;
(iv) there are no agreements, nor will there be any agreements made subsequent to the date of this Film submission that would or could have the effect of impairing the Submitting Parties’ ability to provide the Film as contemplated herein, or otherwise conflict with any provision of these Terms; and
(v) the Submitting Parties have the full right, power and authority to submit the Film to BSFF for BSFF consideration, and to grant all of the rights granted hereunder and in the registration form, and there is no obligation or disability which would in any way impair, restrict or impede the Submitting Parties from fully performing all obligations pursuant to the submission and these Terms.
(2) The Submitting Parties agree to indemnify and hold harmless BSFF, its licensees, successors and assigns, and its and their members, officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, associates and affiliates (each, a “Releasee”), from any claim, suit, action or other proceeding brought against a Releasee and from any losses, costs, or damages, including the Releasee’s full legal fees and costs, which it may have suffered or incurred or may suffer or incur, directly or indirectly based on, in connection with, or arising from the use and exhibition of the Film submitted by the Applicant or the breach or alleged breach of any representation, warranty or other agreement made by the Applicant in these Terms, or in the Applicant’s registration form.
(3) BSFF takes all reasonable anti-piracy precautions. While in BSFF’s possession, all Films are securely stored and regularly inventoried. Access to Films is limited to BSFF staff who require access in order to screen and consider submissions. No duplication and loaning of Films is permitted. By submitting a Film to BSFF, the Submitting Parties hereby release the Releasees from any and all liability in the event of theft, unauthorized access or copying, or any breach of copyright of the submitted Film while it is in BSFF’s possession.
GRANT OF LICENSE
You will own all intellectual property related to your Submission and shall retain ownership of such intellectual property. By submitting your Submission, you grant BSFF a non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, edit, publicly perform, display, reproduce, transmit, sublicense, and distribute in all media formats that exist now or in the future. You agree to approve all download requests from BSFF via FilmFreeway to be eligible for shortlist, nominations and selected winners. Any requests not approved will cause submission to be disqualified.
(2) the promotion of future iterations of the BSFF; and
(3) the promotion of BSFF Parties’ Websites (collectively, the "License").
The License shall commence on the date you submit your Submission to BSFF, shall not expire and need not be renewed. You may revoke the License at any time by providing BSFF with written notice to firstname.lastname@example.org, provided, however, that if your Submission is selected as an “Official Selection”, “Shortlist” or “Winner” before you provide such notice, the license shall become non-revocable. The Contest Parties will not use your Submission for commercial purposes without your permission except as expressly set forth above. All rights not expressly granted by you with respect to your Submission are reserved. By entering your Submission, you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant the licenses set forth in this Section Grant of License..
Winners and Honorees will be presented with a trophy or other recognition that has nominal monetary value.
Additional Prizes might be announced during Submission or Judgement Period.
Each Participant, Applicant, Winner and Honoree agrees to grant BSFF and its partners, the right to print, publish, broadcast and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including but not limited to the world wide web, at any time or times, his or her submitted film, his or her name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness and biographical information as news or information and for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without additional consideration, and without notification, review, or approval.
Further, by accepting any prize or award, the Participant, Applicant, Winner and Honoree releases and agrees to hold BSFF harmless from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind to person and property, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize, participation in any BSFF related activity, or participation in the BSFF.
But where is all the horrible small print?
Just like a parking ticket, you cannot transfer this agreement to anyone else without our permission. This agreement stays in place and need not be renewed. If for some reason one part of this agreement becomes invalid or unenforceable, the remaining parts of it remain in place.